Christmas Trading Dates: Office Closes Friday December 17th. Open Monday January 10th.
Our office is closed from 3pm Wednesday 22nd Dec and will be reopening Monday 9th Jan.

Boroondara tree removal permit

Discover the local laws surrounding trees

If you want to get rid of a dead, dangerous, or unwanted tree in Monash council, you may need to get a tree removal permit.

Applying for a tree removal permit

Send us an enquiry, and we'll find out whether or not you need a permit.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Applying for a tree removal permit in Boroondara council

You'll need to apply for a Tree Protection Local Law Permit if your tree is protected. There are two categories of protected trees — canopy trees and significant trees.

Canopy trees have a circumference of:

  • 110 cm or more, measured at 1.5 metres above ground level
  • 150 cm or more, at ground level

Meanwhile, significant trees are identified according to size, age, rarity, ecological value, or cultural and historical significance. To check if a tree is significant, you'd need to contact the council.

Why you should hire a professional

At Trav's Tree Services, our arborists aren't just certified — we have a background in horticulture and a wealth of experience in providing tree services.

We can remove, or prune, the tree in question in a safe and efficient manner. Someone who doesn't know trees might accidentally damage the plant, leaving you at risk of council fines.



With our arboricultural expertise, we can easily identify protected trees.

Safety first

Safety first

We comply with the highest OH&S practices, and we're fully insured.

Keep it down

Keep it down

We minimise noise, so we don't bother neighbouring residences.

Within budget

Within budget

We give you a transparent quote before we begin any job — no hidden costs.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you obtain a tree removal permit in Boroondara?

First, we'll check the location to see if your tree comes under Significant Landscape Overlay (SLO) or Vegetation Protection Overlay (VPO).

If your tree is on an SLO or VPO site, we'll need to apply for a planning permit. Meanwhile, if your tree is a protected tree, we'll need to get a Tree Protection Local Law Permit.

How do you apply for a Tree Protection Local Law Permit?

We'll download the form and help you fill out the different sections. We'll need to submit a plan showing the location of the tree, as well as photo evidence of the tree depending on which works you are planning to carry out.

Then we'll inspect the tree. We'll consider whether the tree:

  • Has aesthetic, cultural, historic, or ecological value
  • Has good health and structural integrity
  • Is causing property damage
  • Is problematic for public or private landowners
  • Falls within special planning overlays
  • Is affected by legislative requirements

How long does the approval process take for a Tree Protection Local Law Permit?

Applications generally take 10 days to process.

What do I do if my application is rejected?

If your application is denied, you can apply for an appeal within 60 days. For the appeal, you'll need to provide details on why you're asking for a review, and new or supporting evidence which wasn't included in your first application.

Need more information?

If you'd like to know more about the council permit application process, or any of our other services, get in touch.

Job type:

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Powered by EngineRoom

On-site quote

Book an on-site quote

Please provide your contact details and full address so we can book your quote.

Ask a question

Got a problem with your trees but don't know which service you need? Contact us and we'll let you know what we can do.